Thursday 29 December 2011

A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids

Are you a bucket filler or a bucket dipper??








I just bought this wonderful children's book called Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud. It is the winner of many awards including the Mom's Choice Award. It is a story about how everyone carries around an invisible bucket, and our job is to fill our bucket with happy thoughts and feelings and how to help other people fill their buckets by doing nice things for them. In Judaism we call that doing mitzvot; good deeds.



I love when simple stories like this have profound messages and take tangible things, like in this case a child's toy to create a symbol for compassionate behavior. It also reminds me of one of my all time favorite books, Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson. We also have WMMC for Kids. My son always enjoys when I read him this story about about making changes and overcoming fears, when two little mice and Hem and Haw can't find their "old" cheese in a maze, and what they have to do to find "new" cheese. This story had a huge impact on my life when I had to make a big life-changing decision several years ago.



Have you filled somebody's bucket today?

No comments:

Post a Comment